How to Notify the Nevada DMV of an Address Change?
How to change your address for your Nevada DMV?
If you are moving within, to or even from Nevada, you will need to update your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). DMV is a state-level government agency that handles everything related to vehicles and licenses. You can update your address online, in person and by mail.
Nevada DMV requires you to update your address within 30 days of moving. You are required to update your vehicle registration information and driver’s license information.
Updating your address with Nevada DMV
I’m moving within Nevada: How to change my address with the Nevada DMV?
When you’re moving within your state, you are required to change your address with the department of motor vehicles (DMV) as soon as possible. Every state has their own rules and policies. If you’re moving within Nevada, you are required to update your address with the DMV within 30 days of your move.
Because updating your address is so crucial, many states have narrowed the process significantly. To update your address on your license and on other documents, you should be aware of the steps that are to be followed in your state.
So how can you apply for a Nevada DMV change of address?
In Nevada, you can complete the driver’s license change of address request online, just with a few clicks. It is one of the most convenient options available, considering that you have your Nevada driver’s license, ID, date of birth and a social security number (SSN).
Step by step process
- Log in to your MyDMV account.
- Fill in your credentials and follow through the process to update your address.
- If any additional documents are needed, scan and upload them.
- You will have to pay $4.25 to update your address in Nevada.
- You will be needing your old driver’s license, your social security card, your birth certificate and two documents that show your new address i.e., bank statement or utility bills
2. By mail
In Nevada, you can also change your address by mail. It’s quite an easy process and can be completed conveniently without any effort. You’ll also be required to submit a $4.25 fee or a completed Payment Authorization Form.
Following are the steps required to update your address via mail in Nevada.
Steps to update your address
Note: The Nevada DMV requests people not to visit the DMV office in person for updating the address, unless there is another transaction required as well. The address change request can be easily completed online or by mail.
I’m moving from another State to Nevada: How to change my address with the Nevada DMV?
If you are moving from another state to Nevada, you need to get a new driver’s license from the Nevada DMV. You have 30 days to apply for a new driver’s license and 30 days to register your vehicle after establishing residency, considering you have a valid, unexpired driver’s license from another U.S. state.
Sorry to break it to you but you will have to visit the Nevada DMV in person to apply for a new driver’s license.
Following are some of the major DMV offices and their address in Nevada:
Department of Motor Vehicles
555 Wright Way, Carson City, NV
Department of Motor Vehicles
1399 American Pacific Dr, Henderson, NV
Step by step to get a new driver’s license
- Locate your nearest Nevada DMV office.
- Submit a completed Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card (Form DMV 002E).
- You’ll be required to surrender your current out-of-state license.
- You’ll need your ID number, date of birth, and SSN for it.
- Pass the vision exam. You can make the payment through money order, cash, and personal checks.
- Your driver’s license will be mailed to you within 10 days of application.
- Proof of signature
- Nevada driver’s license, Nevada ID Card (any one document from the two)
- Proof of residency
- Deed/Title, Mortgage, Rental/Lease agreement
- Bank statement
- Proof of social security number
- Date of birth
I’m moving from Nevada to another State: How to change my address with the Nevada DMV?
You need to update the Nevada DMV if you are moving from Nevada to another state. Your Nevada driver’s license will be canceled as soon as you receive a new one from the state you’re moving to. The same goes for your vehicle registration as well, and you will need to surrender your license plates.
Update my address by mail with the DMV
When you move from Nevada to another state, you will be required to update the Nevada DMV of your move. The process is easy and convenient. You can update your address and inform the Nevada DMV via mail. You will be required to do so within 30 days of your move.The process to inform the Nevada DMV of your change of address and to ship your plates via mail is the same as mentioned in the ‘moving within’ Nevada section.
Things to do when moving out of Nevada:
- Apply for a new driver’s license, the time-limit for the process varies from state to state. However, most states require this to be completed within 30 to 60 days of establishing residency.
- Apply for a vehicle registration, the time-limit for this process also varies from state to state.
- You will have to apply for the driver’s license and vehicle registration by visiting the DMV office of the state you have moved to. Note that the requirements will vary according to the state you’ve moved to.
What are the documents required?
Here are the documents you need to update your address with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles:
- Application for change of address form.
- Your new and old address
- License plate number
- Last four digits of your VIN and SSN
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, evidence of lawful presence.
- SSN and I.D.
- Proof of Nevada residency
- Current vehicle registration
- Proof of liability insurance
- Proof of inspection
- Proof of ownership
- Application for Driving Privileges
Frequently asked questions about DMV change of address
When should I notify the Nevada DMV of my move?
You must notify the DMV within 30 days of your move.
Do I need to take a driving test?
No, you will not be required to take the driving test.
Will filling out an official U.S. postal service change of address form update my vehicle registration records?
No, filling out an official U.S. postal service change of address form will not update the information on your DMV records.
After moving to another state, do I need to return the license plates?
You will have to surrender your vehicle registration and plates to the Nevada DMV.
Can I change my name and address on my driving licence at the same time?
You can only change your name and address simultaneously if you’re applying for a new license or ID. Otherwise, both the processes require separate procedures.
Moving is often synonymous of stress, long administrative tasks and a significant waste of time and money. MovingWaldo helps you solve all these problems in just a few clicks! After some shameless self-promotion, we invite you to discover our free moving tools available to all.
- Update accounts.
- Book movers, find storage or rent a rental moving truck.
- Connect Internet, TV and phone.
- Secure home and auto insurance.
- Find resources, checklists and more.
Share this article on social media
Relevant for your move
All Your Burning Questions Answered About Moving to Las Vegas Las Vegas, commonly called Vegas and unofficially “Sin City”, is an internationally renowned major touristic destination, famous for gambling, entertainment, nightlife, shopping, and fine dining. Las