5 Best Vancouver Movers - Discover the Best Moving Companies in Metro Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam in British Columbia
Few things in life are as stressful as moving – whether it is a residential home, an office or a storage locker, packing everything you own in a logical, safe and organised way is always difficult (and that’s if everything goes to plan). A good moving company in the Greater Vancouver who offers a fair price, treats your belongings with care and respect and works efficiently is absolutely essential to your move being successful. But, how do you find one of these? The internet contains a labyrinth of review sites all providing conflicting reports on the quality or lack of quality for the various movers in and around Vancouver making it very difficult to separate the good from the bad. At MovingWaldo we wanted to help guide people through this maze, which is why we collated information about the 5 best movers in Metro Vancouver – presenting an easy comparison that allows you to see clearly about the top-rated movers in British Columbia’s largest metro.
Planning a move without bad surprises goes beyond selecting the right movers. From today to moving day, be on top of your game by asking the right questions, validate key information and plan for the little things. Choose one of our curated moving companies today and download this step-by-step guide for everything else you need to know.
Wrong location? Find curated movers for your area here.
MovingWaldo’s list of the 5 best movers in Vancouver bc
Metropolitan Movers is an award-winning moving company based in Vancouver. It has been operational since 2010 and is rated A+ by the BBB. It has won a series of awards, including the 2012 Consumer Choice Award, the Canadian Franchisees Choice Award between 2014 and 2018, alongside the Top Choice Award between 2014 and 2018. They offer a range of moving services, making them an excellent choice for anyone looking for a professional mover in the Vancouver area.
- Price – Available on demand
- Areas Covered – Vancouver and all surrounding areas
- Better Business Bureau rating – A+
- Member of CAM – Yes
- In business since – 2010
- Provides industrial, commercial and residential moving, packing and storage solutions
- Assembly and Disassembly of furniture and workstations
- Packing supplies
- Special item handling such as Piano / Pool table
- Do not offer portable storage
- Do not offer international shipping
- End month dates fill up fast
- Do not accept personal cheques
Reviews of Metropolitan Movers in Vancouver
- Google reviews: 4.5 stars based on 76 reviews for the Vancouver branch
- Yelp reviews: 4.5/5 based on 5+ reviews locally
Services offered by Metropolitan Movers in Vancouver
- Moving and deliveries
- Apartments and condo moving
- Disassembly and Assembly
- Packing / Unpacking
- Delivery of packing materials
- Storage of various sizes
- Piano/ Pool table moving
- Commercial and residential services
Upfront, All-inclusive move quotes. Ferguson Moving and Storage is one of the oldest moving companies in Canada and has a proven track record that has been satisfying customers since 1916. They have an excellent reputation by having been a BBB accredited business since 1992 and garnered an impressive 4.8 out of 5 rating on Google. If you are looking for a trustworthy company with a long history of proven results and 7 specific guarantees, then Ferguson Moving and Storage is the one for you.
- Pricing – Requires home inspection OR Live Facetime/Zoom Meeting
- Areas Covered – Greater Vancouver including Fraser Valley, Edmonton Canada and International Moves
- Better Business Bureau rating –A+ (Accredited since 1992)
- Member of CAM – No
- In business since – 1916
Reviews of Ferguson Moving & Storage Ltd.
- Google reviews: 4.7 stars based on 256 reviews
- Facebook reviews: 4.7 out of 5 based on 30+ votes
Services offered by Ferguson Moving & Storage Ltd.
- Local Moves
- International Moves
- Packing and Unpacking
- Assembly and Disassembly
- Commercial Moves
BigSteelBox is a Canadian-owned and operated container moving and storage company that makes moving and storage feel better! They can move you across town, or across Canada. Their local moving price includes the 1-month rental of a 20′ BigSteelBox, so you can pack at your pace, and all movements of the container. Plus, if you need storage in between homes that’s no problem because storage is built right into their moving service and easy to add on.
From their storage facility in Port Coquitlam, they’re able to provide moving services and portable storage container rentals and sales to residential and business customers in Vancouver and throughout the Lower Mainland. Whether you need secure storage at home or on the job site, or you’re moving to a new home, BigSteelBox can help.
- Pricing – $599*
- Areas Covered –Vancouver, Port Coquitlam and the surrounding area
- Better Business Bureau rating – A+ What is this?
- Member of CAM – No What is this?
- In business since – 1999
* Price includes the 1-month rental of a 20′ BigSteelBox, empty delivery, movement of the container to your new home, and empty pick up. Price is subject to change without notice and does not include taxes. Price is based on moves within the local service area of this city only. Additional charges may apply to frieght for customers outside the local service area.
Is a Moving Container the right choice for my move ?
- I have an available parking space or equivalent to put the Moving Container for at least a few days at each location.
- I am aware that a BigSteelBox is best for single-family homes.
- I understand it will offer me the flexibility to pack and load at my pace and leisure.
If yes, a Moving Container is a great option for you!
- Multiple locations
- Storage in between homes
- Extremely secure containers
- Take your time packing
- Limited service for condo/apartment buildings*
- Packing/loading service an additional cost
*Unless you have space for the container for at least one month.
Reviews of BigSteelBox Moving & Storage in Vancouver
- Google reviews: 4.6 – Based on 45 Reviews
Services offered by BigSteelBox Moving & Storage in Vancouver
- Local Moving
- Long Distance Moving
- Commercial Moving &
- Container Moving
- Storage at Your Home
- Storage at Our Location
- Boxes and Packing Supplies
- Packing Services
- Free Quotes
2 Burley Men Moving is a moving company in Vancouver that offers a plethora of moving services in and around the local area. It has been in operation since 2007, earning an impressive 4.2 rating on Google from +1600 reviews, which when combined with its A+ BBB rating, ensures that it is a local mover that you can trust in the city of Vancouver and the area.
- Price – 2 men and a truck from $100 to $130/hour.
- Areas Covered – Metro Vancouver, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Coquitlam, Burnaby, Richmond, Langley and everywhere in British Columbia.
- Better Business Bureau rating – A+
- Member of CAM – No
- In business since – 2007
Reviews of 2 Burley Men Moving in Vancouver
- Google reviews: 4 stars based on 167 reviews for the Langley branch
Services offered by 2 Burley Men Moving in Vancouver
- Local moving
- Long distance moving
- Boxes & moving supplies
Two Small Men with Big Hearts was originally founded in Victoria and has since grown into one of Canada’s largest moving companies. The size and scale of the company makes them a good choice for people who want to be absolutely secure in the knowledge that their move will be handled professionally, and everything will be done by the book.
- Price – $125 per hour with a truck
- Areas Covered –Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and international moves
- Better Business Bureau rating – A (Accredited since 2017)
- Member of CAM – No
- In business since – 2010
Reviews of Two Small Men with Big Hearts Vancouver
- Google reviews: 4.4 stars based on 260 reviews
Services offered by Two Small Men with Big Hearts Vancouver
- Moving homes
- Moving offices
- Senior moving
- Local and long-distance moves
- Special item and vehicle transport
- Storage services
- Packing and moving supplies
- Upsizing/downsizing services
There are many mover services in the Metro Vancouver that can help you move into your new property. Any of these companies cover the most popular areas from North Vancouver, Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley, Burnaby and Coquitlam or anywhere in British Columbia. To get the best price, our algorithm has established this listing of the 5 best moving companies in Vancouver. Follow MovingWaldo top picks and get the best clients experience possible. If you do not find what you are looking for in this list, you should know that the city of Vancouver has other well-rated moving companies to offer. For example, you could investigate movers like You Move Me or AMJ Campbell who can also help you move your furnitures from your elevator in Vancouver bc to your new home in Burnaby or simply give you a hand with your piano down the stairs.
Prices, availability, ratings and reviews may all vary over time. MovingWaldo does its best to provide accurate data and information, but cannot be held responsible for any information regarding the companies featured in this article.
What’s the BBB? BBB stands for Better Business Bureau and is a North-American organisation whose mission is to help buyers and sellers trust each other. Its rating is based on the number of complaints that a company may receive and how the company handles these complaints. We try to always recommend companies that have A- or higher ratings.
What’s CAM? CAM stands for Canadian Association of Movers. It’s Canada’s only trade association for movers whose goal is to help its members evolve in the industry, while setting a standard of ethics and practices for moving companies. While it is a great way to gain credibility, not all moving companies are part of CAM.
Other Moving Companies in British Columbia
Visit our shop for moving supplies
Share this article on social media
Frequently Asked Questions about Moving in Vancouver:
When is the cheapest time to move in Vancouver?
In general, it is cheaper to move in the middle of the week, in the middle of the month, and during the winter.
Moving prices change a lot throughout the year. Like Uber, the more demand there is, the higher the prices are. The general rules to get a discounted rate are:
- It is usually cheaper to move during the week than during the weekend. For instance, some companies will have a different hourly rate on Wednesday than on Saturday. This is likely due to the fact that people avoid taking time off from work to move, hence, there is more demand on weekends.
- Moving in the middle of the month is likely to be cheaper than moving on the last or first day of the month. This is due to the fact that most leases are renewed on the first day of the month, hence, there is more demand on this day.
- Moving during the winter is usually cheaper. December, January or February are most likely less expensive months. April to September is often more expensive since it coincides with the end and the beginning of the school year.
Note: Are you moving in Quebec? The moving rates over the weekend of Canada Day can go as high as three times the normal rate. How’s that possible you say? Most of Quebec’s lease agreements end on July 1rst. Quebecers call it Moving Day.
How many movers will I need? Are two men and a truck sufficient?
Usually, a moving company will provide 2 or 3 movers and 1 truck. The number will depend on the company politics as well as the size of the move.
For instance, if you are moving from a one or two-bedroom apartment without large appliances, two movers will likely do it. On the contrary, if you are moving a house, 3 movers will be a better option.
If the moving company charge by the hour, the total hourly rate will be higher if there are 3 movers. This said, your move could also take less time, and the movers are less likely to accidentally scratch some furniture out of tiredness.
How many hours should I plan for my move?
For a same city move, the minimum will be 3 to 4 hours, but it is likely to be more than this. A two-bedroom apartment can take 4 to 6 hours, and a complete home could go up to 10 hours. Keep in mind that many things can influence the number of hours a move will take:
- The number of movers, usually 2 or 3 and they are coming with one truck.
- The number of boxes (or Bungobox) and furniture. Boxes are fast to move around, but appliances, sofas and specialty items, like pianos can take a while. If a piece of furniture does not fit the stairs or the elevator, for instance, you can count up to an hour to take it out through the balcony to the moving truck.
- On what level is your home located? Moving from the tenth floor will take more time no matter if movers use the stairs or the elevator.
- How long will it take for the movers to drive the truck from their office, to your current home, then to your new home, and finally go back to the office? Most movers charge from door to door.
Try to evaluate how many trips will the movers need to load and unload everything, then estimate the time for each run. Finally, add the travel time and you should have a first approximation.
How much does it cost to hire a Vancouver moving company?
Moving services rate are usually around 60$ to 80$ per hour per man with a truck. For instance, at $60 per hour, a 6 hours – 2 men move would cost 720$. You would then need to add gas, insurance, and tip.
Here is some sample data. Please make sure to get a proper quote to budget your move, as every move is different!
- Two-bedroom townhouse between $870 and $1,015
- Two-bedroom apartment with an elevator between $870 and $1,160
- Three-bedroom house around $1,600
- Four-bedroom home around $2,300.
Read our full article on the cost of moving.
What should I consider when choosing a moving company?
Selecting a mover is always a tricky thing to do. Since you do not move every year, you usually never had experience with the mover we end up selecting. There are rarely very poor decision, but here are a few things to consider that will help you make an appropriate choice:
Make sure the moving company offers insurance for your belongings.
Look for the BBB Rating. A BBB rating is a measure of customer satisfaction. The highest, the better. Note that not all companies use this rating.
Look for the Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) accreditation. Again, not all companies participate, but it can be a good source of credibility.
How long have they been in business? It is often a great thing when a company is in business for 50 years. We are not saying that young companies are not good, but harder to evaluate.
Where are they located? The closest to you and your new home, the cheaper it will be.
Do they hire full-time employees, or work with contractors? Full-time employees will often give you a guarantee that the reviews are relevant to the team.
Look for reviews from friends and family or turn to online reviews. Take the time to read the reviews and understand it.
Make sure you get more than one moving company quote!
How much should I tip movers in Vancouver?
First, let’s settle it. Yes, you should tip movers, especially if they did a great job and were respectful of you and your furniture. Moving is not an easy job!
- For an average or small size move of 3 to 4 hours, a reasonable tip would be $25 per mover.
- For a larger move, or if it is a very hot day for instance, do not hesitate to go up to $50 per mover.
- In addition to tips, movers are likely to appreciate non-alcoholic beverages, such as water or Gatorade, or small snacks during the course of the move.
- It is usually recommended to tip at the end when paying the final bill.
- Final note: Reviews. The moving industry is not easy, and online reviews are very important for these companies and also for other families that will be seeking their services later on. Share your experience!
For more information, ready our full post here on how much to tip movers.
Should I hire professional movers or rent a moving truck near Vancouver?
There are a number of things to consider before deciding to hire professional movers or moving by yourself, but the quick answer is: hiring movers is definitely a simpler choice, but will often be more expensive. Here are the things to consider:
- What are you moving? Do you only have a few boxes to move, or are you moving a full-size home with a piano and pool table? Try imagining yourself moving the largest piece of furniture, could you do it?
- To the first point, how is your physical health? Moving is hard on the body, and you surely do not want to break your back over the cost of moving. Hire movers if you think the effort could be too much.
- Are you on a tight schedule, are can you move furniture over a week or a month? The more time you have, the easier it is to do it yourself.
- Do you have specialty items, such as a pool table, a spa or a piano? These are expensive and need technical skills to be moved without properly. Make sure to get professional movers.
What are 5 tips for a perfect move in Vancouver, British Columbia?
- Plan your move. The more planning, the better.
- Take measurement at your current and new address. Make sure everything fits.
- Create a Google Drive with all reservations, quotes, lists, insurance, and documents related to your move.
- Label your boxes!
- Always double confirm every reservation.
For MovingWaldo’s ultimate printable moving checklist, click here!
Relevant for your move
Piano’s are wonderful instruments that spark joy, which is why they are often brought along when moving. Piano’s are so fragile and heavy that it is best to have them moved by professional movers to avoid
Moving from one household to another, emptying the house for renovation purposes, temporarily storing household material will require boxes. There are multiple companies that offers moving supplies that are going to ease your move. MovingWaldo’s top
Best Moving Companies North Vancouver – Find the perfect moving company near me. Looking for the best moving companies in North Vancouver ? Here’s how we help. We’ve built a list of curated movers that you
So, you’ve probably heard about the large truck rental company, U-Haul, right? Well, what if you didn’t want to go with them? What are the alternatives in Vancouver?
Need help moving?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything your need for your move. No sign up required!