Council Tax Change of Address: The Complete Guide

Council Tax Change of Address: The Complete Guide

How to update your Council Tax address?

When looking to update your address for your Council Tax, first, you have to find your local council’s contact information. You then have 4 options to pick from:

*Keep reading for more details!

Council tax is paid to your local council and pays for local services that are essential to your community like education, libraries, police and fire services, parks, sports facilities, rubbish collection, public transport, road maintenance, and more! An individual Council Tax bill is calculated based on at least 2 adults living in the same house. Partners and spouses living together must pay their bills jointly. If you are 18 or older, you have to pay council tax if you rent or own a home. You’ll receive a bill every April, which will be split into 10 monthly payments during the year. It’s important to tell your city council that you are moving home. In this guide, MovingWaldo reviews the Council Tax change of address procedure and helps you complete it successfully!

Featured in this article


Who to inform about a change of address for Council Tax

You have to inform your local authority (city council) about a change of address for Council Tax around a month before you move. It is necessary to notify both your previous and new councils when you move.* Tell them where you are moving from and where you are going. 

Typically, if your name or address changes, you need to tell HMRC. HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) is the U.K. government’s tax authority. They collect taxes, pay child benefits, enforce tax and customs laws, and enforce the payment of the minimum wage by employers.

*You’ll need to contact your local council if your new home does not have a Council Tax band. They will arrange a property assessment for you. 


How to change your address for Council Tax

UK city councils offer several methods for changing your address for Council Tax. Among 4 methods, you can choose the one you prefer to update your address with the Council Tax.

1. Online

You can inform the local council of the respective city of your address change if you’re moving into or out of a property. The websites of city councils provide online forms that you can fill out to change your address for Council Tax purposes. 

For your convenience, we have listed different cities with their city council websites where you can change your address:

Council Tax websites: Change of Address 



East Staffordshire








Note: Some city councils may ask you to register before you change your address online.

Go to your city council’s website if your city is not listed here. 

2. By phone

The websites of the respective city councils also provide their telephone numbers where you can change your address for Council Tax purposes. You will need your National Insurance number when you call.


Council phone number


020 7332 1882


016 1234 5000

East Staffordshire

012 8350 8030


0117 922 2900


0151 233 3000


0141 287 2000


0116 454 1000


029 2087 2087


023 8083 3000


0127 443 7792

Go to your city council’s website if your city is not listed here.

3. By email

If you prefer, you can also send an email. When sending an email, be sure to include the Council Tax account reference in the subject line. A change of address with Council Tax account reference should be submitted to the city council. It is possible to find your city council’s email address on its website if they provide it.


Moved to a new city? Here’s how to register to pay Council Tax.

If you have moved to a new city and want to register to pay Council Tax, you must contact your local council. A Council Tax bill will be sent to you once you have been registered. Please follow these steps to register:

  • Step 1: Go to your local authority’s (city council) website. For example, if you have moved to Leicester City, you will go to this website.
  • Step 2: On the menu, select “Your community”. Then, choose “Council Tax”.
  • Step 3: Choose “Pay your council tax and paperless billing” on the left sidebar.
  • Step 4: Quick links will be provided. You have to click “Register or manage your account online”.
  • Step 5: Click “Register for an account” at the bottom of the page.
  • Step 6: Select “I am a Council Tax Payer”.
  • Step 7: Enter the details and you will be registered.

Six ways to pay your Council Tax

City councils offer several ways to pay Council Tax. Some of them are given below:

1. Direct debit

The easiest method to pay your Council Tax is by direct debit. Effortless, quick, and secure. Keeping track of your payments is not necessary if you choose this method. 

2. Online

If you want to pay your Council Tax online. You’ll need;

  • Your Council Tax reference number
  • Debit or credit card number

Your Council tax bill will include the Council tax reference number. This way, you can maintain low costs, but you have to keep track of when payments are due.

3. Online banking

Online banking is another way to pay your Council Tax. In order to do this, you will need the following information from your local council:

  • Bank
  • Bank Sort Code
  • Bank Account Number (of the respective city council)

Additionally, you will need to provide your account number, which can be found on the front of your bill.

4. In person

Your Council Tax can be paid in person, at one of the Payzone points within the city area operated by your city council.

Find your nearest Payzone here.

5. By phone

If you want to pay your Council Tax by phone, you’ll need:

  • Your Council Tax reference number
  • Debit or credit card number.

Note: Your Council Tax bill includes the Council Tax reference number.

6. By post

Paying your Council Tax by post will require you to send a check to the address written on your bill. Make sure you write your Council Tax reference number on the back of the check.

*Cash should not be sent by mail: it is unsafe.


When to tell the City Council about a change of address

Both your previous and new councils need to be notified when you move home. It’s best to notify both councils (or the single council) 30 days prior to moving.


FAQ – Frequently asked questions about Council Tax change of address

Can I update my Council Tax address by phone and in person?

Yes, you can update your Council Tax address both by phone and in person. The websites of the respective city councils provide their telephone numbers where you can change your Council Tax address. You will need your National Insurance number when you call. For in-person assistance, you will need to visit the Customer Hub of your local council (if they offer this facility).

My partner will be moving out of the house, will I still be paying the same Council Tax amount?

If your partner is moving out of the house, note that there is a 25% discount (single person discount) for the only eligible adult living at the property. You can check your eligibility and apply for a “Single-Person Discount” by visiting the website of your city council.

I have recently become disabled due to an accident and will be moving into a new home. Am I eligible for a Council Tax discount? 

There may be a discount available for Council Tax when the property is the main or sole residence of at least one disabled person. You can check your eligibility and apply for “Council Tax Exemptions and Discounts” by visiting the website of your city council. 

How do I check how much I should be paying for my Council Tax?

You pay Council Tax based on the valuation band of your property. Several factors determine how much Council Tax you will have to pay. Certain properties are exempt from Council Tax and some people qualify for Council Tax discounts. You can calculate the Council Tax by checking the valuation band for your property on and looking on the local council’s website.

As a student, I am becoming a renter for the first time. Do I get a discount on my Council Tax? 

Students get a Council Tax discount if they are full-time students. Find out if you qualify for a discount on your Council Tax by visiting your local council’s website.



Widgets Magazine


Widgets Magazine

Share this article on social media

Selina Cifelli

The author

Selina is a motivated marketing intern with a keen interest in developing engaging content related to moving experiences and city life. With a passion for fashion and traveling, she brings a fresh perspective to our readers. Her talent for crafting innovative written material effectively positions MovingWaldo as a trusted resource for hassle-free and efficient moves.

Relevant for your move

How much is your move?

Find a mover

Easily compare multiple quotes

Organize your move

Guided through a checklist

Internet packages

Get up to speed on the new deals

Address change

Update your address in a few clicks

Join the network

Become a trusted vendor in your service area

For agents and brokers

MovingWaldo is a one-stop-shop that simplifies tackling moving tasks

What is MovingWaldo?

We guide millions of families through each step of their moving process, helping them save time and money, and making sure nothing gets left behind.

Trouver un déménageur

Comparez plusieurs devis

Organisez votre déménagement

Guidé à travers une checklist

Changement d’adresse

Mettez Ă  jour votre adresse en quelques clics

Forfaits internet

Soyez au courant des nouvelles offres internet Ă  domicile

Rejoignez le réseau

Devenez un fournisseur de confiance pour desservir votre région

Professionnels de l’immobilier

Prolongez la relation avec vos clients grùce à votre propre plateforme de déménagement personnalisé

Qu'est-ce que MovingWaldo ?

MovingWaldo est un guichet unique qui simplifie la planification du déménagement

Get our printable change of address checklist directly in your inbox

This site is registered on as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.