pip change of address

PIP Change of Address: How to update your address with Personal Independence Payment

How to change your address for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

When looking to change your address for PIP, there are 4 options:

*Keep reading to learn more with our detailed guide.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) benefits working-age individuals with long-term health conditions or disabilities in the UK. It is paid to people aged between 16 and 64, helping them with some of the extra costs associated with disability, such as travel expenses, healthcare services, and equipment needs. If you’re eligible, you can get up to £157.90 per week if your health condition or disability means you need help with certain tasks in your daily life. PIP is a tax-free amount. It is not affected by your income or savings.

If you have moved home and receive PIP, it’s important that you update your address with the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). MovingWaldo is here to make your change of address easier. Read our full guide to find out more about PIP change of address procedure!

Do I have to notify PIP of my change of address?

If you are receiving the Personal Independence Payment, it is recommended to change your address at least 1 month before your move. If you do not update your address before your move, you may be entitled to a penalty. Find out more hereIt’s essential to notify them to keep receiving your benefits and to be easily joinable.

Illustrations-Mes changements d’adresse (1)

4 options to change your address for PIP

To change your address for PIP you can choose from one of the following options:

Option #1: Phone the DWP helpline at 0800 121 4433

Option #2: Textphone to 0800 121 4493 from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.

Option #3: Use Relay UK (if you can’t speak on the phone or hear): 18001 then 0800 121 4433.

Option #4: If you communicate using British Sign Language (BSL), use video relay service if you’re on a computer or this service if on a tablet/mobile device.

Before communicating with PIP, ensure you have the following:
      • Your National Insurance number

      • The date of birth on your most recent passport or driving licence

FAQ - Frequently asked questions about PIP change of address

How do I report a death to PIP?

If you are a relative or a person with power of attorney for the deceased person, you can report the death to PIP by calling the DWP Bereavement Service at 0800 151 2012, or by textphone to 0800 731 0464, using Relay UK or video relay service.

You can also use the Tell Us Once service to report a death to most government organisations in one go.

What other circumstances are required to be reported to PIP?

You should contact Personal Independence Payment (PIP) enquiry in case of the following events:

  • In case of a change in details such as your name, address or the doctor
  • A change in the help you need, or there is a change in your condition 
  • If your condition worsens, and your life expectancy is not more than six months
  • You are admitted to a hospital
  • You have gone abroad
  • You’re imprisoned or held in detention by the authorities
  • Your immigration status has changed, and you are no longer a British citizen
  • In the event of your change in address

When are DWP offices typically open?

DWP offices are open Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. The timings can vary on bank holidays and public holidays.


Changing your address for PIP is easy, and if you follow the instructions in this article, you won’t face an issue. You’ll simply need to call DWP and request a change of address. It is an essential detail to continue receiving your allowance from the government, otherwise, you could be barred from receiving any future payments. Don’t forget to also change your address with HMRC!

Share this article on social media

Relevant for your move

Need help moving?

Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything you need for your move. No sign up required!