ESA change of address

ESA Change of Address: How to Update Your Address with Employment and Support Allowance

How to change your address for your ESA

When looking to change your address for your ESA, you have 2 options to pick from:

Keep reading to learn more with our detailed guide.

People who have a disability or health condition that affects how much they can work can claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). To make sure you’re receiving the correct amount of money from your ESA, it’s important that you report any changes to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). If you’re moving home and want to complete your change of address, you can either do it by phone or by mail. Read on to find out more about the ESA change of address procedure! If you are looking to change your address for PIP, click here

When should you change your address for your ESA?

Moving home usually doesn’t affect your ESA but it’s mandatory to report it to the Department for Work and Pensions within 7 days of the change. This will enable you to receive your benefits uninterrupted. 

What do you need to update your ESA address?

To update the address for your ESA, you need: 

  • To have a valid email address or phone number to verify the change
  • To provide a photo ID and proof of residency (driving licence, utility bill, etc.)
  • SSI or Social Security Disability Insurance

2 ways to change the address for your ESA

Illustrations-Mes changements d’adresse (1)

1. By phone

To update your address for your ESA by phone, you can call Jobcentre Plus at 0800 169 0310 in English or in Welsh at 0800 328 1744. You can also join them by textphone at 0800 169 0314.

You will need your:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number

*In case you cannot hear or speak on the phone, you can call Relay UK at 18001 then 0800 169 0310.

2. By mail

If you prefer, you can also complete your ESA change of address by mail. Simply write to the Jobcentre Plus office that pays your ESA. You’ll find the address on the letters you get about your ESA. 

Find your nearest Jobcentre here.

Don’t forget to update your address on your Universal Credit

If you get Universal Credit at the same time as the ‘new style’ ESA, you must also report the changes of circumstances in your Universal Credit account. You can do this by logging in to your account and updating the information there, or by contacting the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 9344.

FAQ - Frequently asked questions about the ESA change of address

I’m in Northern Ireland, how do I complete my ESA change of address?

If you’re in Northern Ireland and need to complete your ESA change of address, you must contact the ESA Centre by calling 0800 587 1377.

Other than moving house, what are the changes of circumstances that I need to report to the ESA?

Here are some changes of circumstances that you need to report:

  • Starting or stopping work, education, training, or an apprenticeship
  • Any change in your name
  • Someone moving into or out of the place you live (for example your partner or a child)
  • Any changes to the benefits you get (or anyone else in your house)
  • The changes to your pension, savings, investments, or property
  • The changes to other money you get (for example student loans or grants, sick pay, or money you get from a charity)

What happens if I don’t report a change of circumstance to the ESA?

If you don’t report a change of circumstance to the ESA straight away, your claim might be stopped or reduced. Moreover, you will have to pay a £50 penalty or even may be prosecuted if you give wrong or incomplete information.

What should I do if the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) tells me to move to Universal Credit?

The DWP might tell you to move to Universal Credit in case you are getting an Income-related contribution-based ESA. In this scenario, you must contact your nearest Citizens Advice.


If you receive ESA, updating your address with the DWP is an important step when moving. With this comprehensive guide curated just for your convenience, there is no reason why you shouldn’t timely notify the DWP of your move, whether you choose to do it by phone or by mail. Note that you must let other institutions (such as HMRC, NHS or your city council) know that you’re moving.

Share this article on social media

Relevant for your move

Need help moving?

Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything you need for your move. No sign up required!