Best Moving Companies Victoria - Find the perfect movers company near me.
Few things in life are as stressful as moving – whether it is a residential home, an office or a storage locker, packing everything you own in a logical, safe and organized way is always difficult (and that’s if everything goes according to plan). A good moving company in Victoria who offers a fair price, treats your belongings with care and respect and works efficiently is absolutely essential to your move being successful. But, how do you find one? The internet contains a labyrinth of review sites all providing conflicting reports on the quality or lack of quality for the various moving companies, making it very difficult to separate the good from the bad. At MovingWaldo we want to help and guide people through this maze, which is why we collated information about the five best movers in Victoria – presenting an easy comparison that allows you to see clearly.
Planning a move without bad surprises goes beyond selecting the right movers. From today to moving day, be on top of your game by asking the right questions, validate key information and plan for the little things. Choose one of our curated moving companies today and download this step-by-step guide for everything else you need to know.
Wrong location? Find curated movers for your area here.
MovingWaldo’s list of the 5 best movers in Victoria
What is MovingWaldo?
MovingWaldo is Canada’s #1 Free Moving Concierge Service. Since 2016, we help millions of Canadians tackle moving tasks in minutes. We care to take the stress away from moving by offering free tools, tips and tricks and referral of service providers that you can trust. MovingWaldo is everything moving under the same roof!
How are moving companies selected?
Our network of movers you can trust is carefully built based on professionalism, years of experience, accreditation, awards and social proofs from customers. We care to help you through the maze of information the web provides about this unique industry. You can trust the movers listed here to guide you and your family safely into moving day!
Are you a good moving company?
4.7 stars based on 29 reviews from around the web
BigSteelBox is a Canadian-owned and operated container moving and storage company that makes moving and storage feel better! They can move you across town, or across Canada. Their local moving price includes the 1-month rental of a 20′ BigSteelBox, so you can pack at your pace, and all movements of the container. Plus, if you need storage in between homes that’s no problem because storage is built right into their moving service and easy to add on.
From their storage facility in Saanichton, they’re able to provide moving services and portable storage container rentals and sales to residential and business customers throughout Vancouver Island, includind Victoria, Sidney and Esquimalt. Whether you need secure storage at home or on the job site, or you’re moving to a new home, BigSteelBox can help.
Moving Services offered by BigSteelBox Moving & Storage in Victoria
- Local Moving
- Long Distance Moving
- Commercial Moving & Storage
- Container Moving
- Storage at Your Home
- Storage at Our Location
- Boxes and Packing Supplies
- Packing Services
- Free Quotes
* Price includes the 1-month rental of a 20′ BigSteelBox, empty delivery, movement of the container to your new home, and empty pick up. Price is subject to change without notice and does not include taxes. Price is based on moves within the local service area of this city only. Additional charges may apply to frieght for customers outside the local service area.
BBB Bureau Rating
In Business Since
Victoria and the surrounding area
- Multiple locations
- Storage in between homes
- Extremely secure containers
- Take your time packing
- Limited service for condo/apartment buildings*
- Packing/loading service an additional cost
*Unless you have space for the container for at least one month.
Why do we recommend BigSteelBox for your move in Victoria?
BigSteelBox is another highly reputable container company with long distance moving services that has been servicing the Canadian population for decades. They offer a diverse range of services that can be tailored to meet specific demands and cater to the storage and/or relocation needs for jobs of all sizes. This is a great option for those who need to move or store office furniture, or other commercial jobs that many other moving companies may struggle with.
4.2 stars based on 1840 reviews from around the web
2 Burley Men Moving is a Victoria moving company that offers a plethora of moving services in and around the local area. It has been in operation since 2007, earning an impressive 4.2 rating on Google from +1600 reviews, which when combined with its A+ BBB rating, ensures that it is a local mover that you can trust.
Moving Services offered by 2 Burley Men Moving in Victoria
- Local moving
- Long distance moving
- Boxes & moving supplies
2 men on a 5-ton truck at $95/hour.
BBB Bureau Rating
In Business Since
- Multiple locations
- Quick and efficient
- Precise estimate
- Very careful with belongings
- Not available in every provinces
Why do we recommend 2 Burley Men for your move in Victoria?
2 Burley Men Moving is well recognized and appreciated by the customers, putting the company’s name as one of the leaders in long distance movers in Canada. The expertise they have gained over the years is making them efficient and will make the best bang for your buck! 2 Burley Men Moving is definitely one of the best in the moving industry.
785 Lampson St, Victoria, BC V9A 6A9
4.8 stars based on 275 reviews from around the web
You Move Me is a professional moving company that services Victoria and the surrounding area. It has been in business since 2014, earning an excellent reputation on Google and Yelp. Because of their well explained moving process, they accompany you throughout your move and make sure everything goes as planned. Thus, they do not leave room for bad surprises on the day of the move. Since they understand the logic behind a move, they’ll be able to work with you and create a customized moving solution to answer your specific needs. This makes it ideal for anyone seeking a friendly and professional moving service in the Victoria area.
Moving Services offered by You Move Me in Victoria
- Local moving
- Furniture moving
- Seniors moving
- Commercial moving
- Office moving
$159/hour for two men + $159 truck fee
BBB Bureau Rating
In Business Since
Nanaimo, Vancouver, Victoria and the surroundings
- Hardwood and tile floors potection at no extra cost
- Fully insured and licensed
- Boxes availables
- Office is open 7/7 (open hours may vary)
- On-site estimate are needed to move grand pianos and baby grand pianos
- Do not move extremely heavy items, such as safes
- All boxes need to be covered (they may wrap them for you)
Why do we recommend You Move Me for your move in Victoria?
You Move Me is a great solution, because they not only move your boxes or belongings, as the name says it, they move you. They make sure your move is planned for you and your needs. This makes them efficient movers, your belongings will be in good hand and relocated with care. For a move in the Victoria area, You Move Me is an excellent option to consider. The many positive reviews demonstrate the quality and professionalism of their services.
3934 Quadra St, Victoria, BC V8X 1J6
4.6 stars based on 107 reviews from around the web
Take A Load Off Moving is a moving company operating in British Columbia. With trained and professional movers, they always put their client’s satisfaction first. They offer a wide variety of services, therefore they can easily accommodate your need, whether you need moving services only or the whole package such as packing and cleaning. This makes Take A Load Off Moving a great option whatever are your needs and wants; they’ll take care of your move with care and professionalism. Finally, they stand out from the competition by their ability to take charge of short notice moves. If you have an unexpected move, they’re there to help.
Moving Services offered by Take A Load Off Moving in Victoria
- Moving services
- Junk removal services
- Delivery services
- Storage services
- Moving supplies
- Packing services
- Cleaning services
- Large item services (piano, sofa, etc.)
Available on demand
BBB Bureau Rating
In Business Since
Vancouver Island, Victoria, Nanaimo and the surroundings.
- Many services available
- Moving supplies available
- Special discounted rates (seniors, students, etc.)
- Short notice moves
- Fully insured
- 2-hour minimum charged for all moves
- For cancellation, a 48 hours notice is required
Why do we recommend Take A Load Off Moving for your move in Victoria?
If you are looking for a moving company in Victoria, Take A Load Off Moving is worth taking a look. With all the services they offer, you’ll be able to customize your move and make sure all the aspects of your move are covered, safely and efficiently. Thanks to their professional and experienced employees, they will be able to take care of your move, big or small.
1619 Townsite Rd c, Nanaimo, BC V9S 1N3
4.6 stars based on 175 reviews from around the web
A proud staple of the Victoria area, Hendra Moving and Storage has been delivering excellent results for more than three decades. It provides a great-range of moving services and is also linked to several international companies, ensuring that they can help wherever life takes you. This coupled with their excellent reputation and friendly staff, makes them ideal for anyone seeking to move in Victoria or the surrounding area.
Services offered in Victoria
- Local Moves
- Long distance moves
- Packing and Unpacking
Available on demand
BBB Bureau Rating
A+ (Accredited since 1992)
In Business Since
They services every provinces and territories in Canada as well as the US.
Other Commercial Moving Companies in Canada
Moving is often synonymous of stress, long administrative tasks and a significant waste of time and money. MovingWaldo helps you solve all these problems in just a few clicks! After some shameless self-promotion, we invite you to discover our free moving tools available to all.
- Update your address on all your accounts
- Connect the Internet, TV and phone.
- Secure home and auto insurance
- Find resources, checklists and more.
We bring together more than 700 organizations across Canada with a single and simplified form.
Prices, availability, ratings and reviews may all vary over time. MovingWaldo does its best to provide accurate data and information, but cannot be held responsible for any information regarding the companies featured in this article. Unless noted otherwise, MovingWaldo is not taking part in any partnership with the above companies.
What’s the BBB? BBB stands for Better Business Bureau and is a North-American organisation whose mission is to help buyers and sellers trust each other. Its rating is based on the number of complaints that a company may receive and how the company handles these complaints. We try to always recommend companies that have A- or higher ratings.
What’s CAM? CAM stands for Canadian Association of Movers. It’s Canada’s only trade association for movers whose goal is to help its members evolve in the industry, while setting a standard of ethics and practices for moving companies. While it is a great way to gain credibility, not all moving companies are part of CAM.
Frequently Asked Questions about Moving
When is the cheapest time to move?
In general, it is cheaper to move in the middle of the week, in the middle of the month, and during the winter.
Moving prices change a lot throughout the year. Like Uber, the more demand there is, the higher the prices are. The general rules to get a discounted rate are:
- It is usually cheaper to move during the week than during the weekend. For instance, some companies will have a different hourly rate on Wednesday than on Saturday. This is likely due to the fact that people avoid taking time off from work to move, hence, there is more demand on weekends.
- Moving in the middle of the month is likely to be cheaper than moving on the last or first day of the month. This is due to the fact that most leases are renewed on the first day of the month, hence, there is more demand on this day.
- Moving during the winter is usually cheaper. December, January or February are most likely less expensive months. April to September is often more expensive since it coincides with the end and the beginning of the school year.
Note: Are you moving in Quebec? The moving rates over the weekend of Canada Day can go as high as three times the normal rate. How’s that possible you say? Most of Quebec’s lease agreements end on July 1rst. Quebecers call it Moving Day.
How many movers will I need?
Usually, a moving company will provide 2 or 3 movers. The number will depend on the company politics as well as the size of the move.
For instance, if you are moving from a one or two-bedroom apartment without large appliances, two movers will likely do it. On the contrary, if you are moving a house, 3 movers will be a better option.
If the moving company charge by the hour, the total hourly rate will be higher if there are 3 movers. This said, your move could also take less time, and the movers are less likely to accidentally scratch some furniture out of tiredness.
How many hours should I plan for my move?
For a same city move, the minimum will be 3 to 4 hours, but it is likely to be more than this. A two-bedroom apartment can take 4 to 6 hours, and a complete home could go up to 10 hours. Keep in mind that many things can influence the number of hours a move will take:
- The number of movers, usually 2 or 3.
- The number of boxes and furniture. Boxes are fast to move around, but appliances, sofas and specialty items can take a while. If a piece of furniture does not fit the stairs, for instance, you can count up to an hour to take it out through the balcony.
- On what level is your home located? Moving from the tenth floor will take more time.
- How long will it take for the movers to drive from their office, to your current home, then to your new home, and finally go back to the office? Most movers charge from door to door.
Try to evaluate how many trips will the movers need to load and unload everything, then estimate the time for each run. Finally, add the travel time and you should have a first approximation.
How much does it cost to hire a moving company?
Moving services rate are usually around 60$ to 80$ per hour per man. For instance, at $60 per hour, a 6 hours – 2 men move would cost 720$. You would then need to add gas, insurance, and tip.
Here is some sample data. Please make sure to get a proper quote to budget your move, as every move is different!
- Two-bedroom townhouse between $870 and $1,015
- Two-bedroom apartment with an elevator between $870 and $1,160
- Three-bedroom house around $1,600
- Four-bedroom home around $2,300.
Read our full article on the cost of moving.
What should I consider when choosing a moving company?
Selecting a mover is always a tricky thing to do. Since you do not move every year, you usually never had experience with the mover we end up selecting. There are rarely very poor decision, but here are a few things to consider that will help you make an appropriate choice:
Make sure the moving company offers insurance for your belongings.
Look for the BBB Rating. A BBB rating is a measure of customer satisfaction. The highest, the better. Note that not all companies use this rating.
Look for the Canadian Association of Movers (CAM) accreditation. Again, not all companies participate, but it can be a good source of credibility.
How long have they been in business? It is often a great thing when a company is in business for 50 years. We are not saying that young companies are not good, but harder to evaluate.
Where are they located? The closest to you and your new home, the cheaper it will be.
Do they hire full-time employees, or work with contractors? Full-time employees will often give you a guarantee that the reviews are relevant to the team.
Look for reviews from friends and family or turn to online reviews. Take the time to read the reviews and understand it.
Make sure you get more than one moving company quote!
How much should I tip movers?
First, let’s settle it. Yes, you should tip movers, especially if they did a great job and were respectful of you and your furniture. Moving is not an easy job!
- For an average or small size move of 3 to 4 hours, a reasonable tip would be $25 per mover.
- For a larger move, or if it is a very hot day for instance, do not hesitate to go up to $50 per mover.
- In addition to tips, movers are likely to appreciate non-alcoholic beverages, such as water or Gatorade, or small snacks during the course of the move.
- It is usually recommended to tip at the end when paying the final bill.
- Final note: Reviews. The moving industry is not easy, and online reviews are very important for these companies and also for other families that will be seeking their services later on. Share your experience!
For more information, ready our full post here on how much to tip movers.
Should I hire professional movers or rent a moving truck?
There are a number of things to consider before deciding to hire professional movers or moving by yourself, but the quick answer is: hiring movers is definitely a simpler choice, but will often be more expensive. Here are the things to consider:
- What are you moving? Do you only have a few boxes to move, or are you moving a full-size home with a piano and pool table? Try imagining yourself moving the largest piece of furniture, could you do it?
- To the first point, how is your physical health? Moving is hard on the body, and you surely do not want to break your back over the cost of moving. Hire movers if you think the effort could be too much.
- Are you on a tight schedule, are can you move furniture over a week or a month? The more time you have, the easier it is to do it yourself.
- Do you have specialty items, such as a pool table, a spa or a piano? These are expensive and need technical skills to be moved without properly. Make sure to get professional movers.
What are 5 tips for a perfect move in Victoria?
- Plan your move. The more planning, the better.
- Take measurement at your current and new address. Make sure everything fits.
- Create a Google Drive with all reservations, quotes, lists, insurance, and documents related to your move.
- Label your boxes!
- Always double confirm every reservation.
For MovingWaldo’s ultimate printable moving checklist, click here!
Share this article on social media
Relevant for your move
Getting the right telecommunication provider for yourself is a matter of research and understanding what are your expectations. Today technology is helping us more and more to develop ways of communicating with each other. So if you need alternatives to Shaw and Telus in Victoria, Nanaimo, and Vancouver Island, BC, you are in the right place.
You have ever wondered how approximately 1 million people live in Victoria? Well, this “garden city” is an attractive tourism destination with over 3.5 million overnight visitors per year and a flourishing technology sector. Other thriving sectors include food, education and governmental services.
Best 3 Moving Truck Rental Alternatives to U-Haul in Victoria, BC If you need to rent a moving truck in Victoria but don’t want to use U-Haul, continue reading to find 5 alternatives in your area.
A clean house not only results in a clean space, but a clean mind. Cleaning your house is a long and tedious task so why not get your house cleaned by the most trusted cleaners in
Piano’s are wonderful instruments that spark joy, which is why they are often brought along when moving. Piano’s are so fragile and heavy that it is best to have them moved by professional movers to avoid
Need help moving?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything your need for your move. No sign up required!