Child Benefit Change of Address: Ultimate Guide

Child Benefit Change of Address: Ultimate Guide

How to change your address for your Child Benefit?

When looking to change your address for your Child Benefit, you have four options to pick from:

Keep reading to learn more with our step-by-step guide.

Citizens of the UK receive Child benefits as a monthly payment from the government to help with the cost of bringing up children. If your family’s circumstances change, you’ll need to notify the Child Benefit Office. Moving home is considered one of these changes. Bear in mind that, as long as the child still lives with you, it will not affect your Child Benefit payment. 

MovingWaldo is here to make your change of address easier. This article will discuss everything you need to know about your Child Benefit change of address. Read on to figure out how to do so!

Featured in this article


Why do you need to change your address for Child Benefit?

You need to change your address for Child Benefit to provide them with up-to-date information about you and your child. Otherwise, your payments will stop since the Child Benefit Office will not be able to contact you.


How to update your address for Child Benefit

1. Online

To report changes online, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you report.

To change the address online, continue with the following steps:

  • Log on to the UK Government website 
  • Enter the 13-digit National Insurance number of the person who receives a Child Benefit.
  • Enter the date of birth of the person who receives Child Benefit.
  • Once done, click on the ‘continue’ button at the bottom of the page and this will take you to a new page where you need to enter your new address.
  • Select ‘change address’ from the list of options displayed.
  • Once you have confirmed the new address details, click on the “submit” button at the bottom of the page or app and wait for a confirmation email from HMRC with your new reference number.

2. By Phone

You can change your address for Child Benefit by phone. It is only available for those who have a mobile number registered to their claim and are able to receive text messages from HMRC. 

To update your address with the Child Benefit Office by phone, simply call at 0300 200 3100 or +44 161 210 3086 if you’re outside the UK. Say: “change my address” when asked why you are calling HMRC (they use speech recognition software).

3. In person

If you prefer changing your address for your child benefit claim in person, you’ll need to visit your local Jobcentre Plus office. You will also have to bring your original National Insurance number documentation.

4. By mail

The last option that is given to you to update your address for your Child Benefit claim is by mail. You can write to HMRC to let them know you’ve moved house by sending a letter with the relevant information about your change of address at this address:

HM Revenue and Customs — Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
United Kingdom



FAQ – Frequently asked questions about Child Benefit change of address

Can I fax a change of address to the Child Benefit Office?

The Child Benefit Office does not have a fax service. You will have to call them on the phone or send them a letter.

Does Royal Mail redirection notify Child Benefit of my change of address?

The Child Benefit Office will be notified of a change of address by Royal Mail. The Royal Mail will indeed send the notification to the Child Benefit Office when they have processed your redirection request. If you have a registered change of address with your local council, then they will notify the Child Benefit Office directly.

What time is the Child Benefit Office typically open?

The Child Benefit Office hours vary depending on the area, but they are typically open from 8:00 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday and 8:00 am to 4 pm on Saturday.

Do all parents in the UK get child benefits?

The benefits depend on your income and whether you’re at work or not. Once you earn £60,000, you lose all of your benefits through tax. If you’re not at work, Child Benefit is currently £21.80 per week for the eldest child and £14.45 per week for each additional child under 16 years old, or if they’re disabled or under 20 years old and in full-time education (or training).


Widgets Magazine


Widgets Magazine

Share this article on social media

Selina Cifelli

The author

Selina is a motivated marketing intern with a keen interest in developing engaging content related to moving experiences and city life. With a passion for fashion and traveling, she brings a fresh perspective to our readers. Her talent for crafting innovative written material effectively positions MovingWaldo as a trusted resource for hassle-free and efficient moves.

Relevant for your move

Find a mover

Easily compare multiple quotes

Organize your move

Guided through a checklist

Internet packages

Get up to speed on the new deals

Address change

Update your address in a few clicks

Join the network

Become a trusted vendor in your service area

For agents and brokers

MovingWaldo is a one-stop-shop that simplifies tackling moving tasks

What is MovingWaldo?

We guide millions of families through each step of their moving process, helping them save time and money, and making sure nothing gets left behind.

Trouver un déménageur

Comparez plusieurs devis

Organisez votre déménagement

Guidé à travers une checklist

Changement d’adresse

Mettez à jour votre adresse en quelques clics

Forfaits internet

Soyez au courant des nouvelles offres internet à domicile

Rejoignez le réseau

Devenez un fournisseur de confiance pour desservir votre région

Professionnels de l’immobilier

Prolongez la relation avec vos clients grâce à votre propre plateforme de déménagement personnalisé

Qu'est-ce que MovingWaldo ?

MovingWaldo est un guichet unique qui simplifie la planification du déménagement

Get our printable change of address checklist directly in your inbox