Lady in the phone

IRS Change of Address: How to Notify the Internal Revenue Service of Your Move

If you’re planning or already in the process of moving out, you have a lot to attend to. Ranging from packing and labeling your boxes, cleaning out your soon-to-be old residence to hiring movers, and working out deposits, there just might be a tendency for you to leave out some essentials if you’re not very careful. 

One of the essentials you might not want to leave out is updating the IRS of your new address. The IRS is the U.S. government agency that is in charge of collecting and enforcing taxes and their laws respectively.  

How to Change Your Address With the IRS

There are several ways to change your address with the IRS

Address Change Procedures Offered by the IRS

Do I Need to Notify the IRS of an Address Change?

Yes, you must notify the IRS of an address change at least 2 weeks before your move to avoid penalties. A lot of people fail to notify the IRS of an address change when they move because they just tell themselves they’ll change it when they file their next tax return. 

However, they fail to realize that any tax-related information that the IRS might have to pass across before submitting the next tax return will be forwarded to the previous address. 

For instance, you may receive a letter that requires a quick response. Failure to respond quickly can result in penalties like late fees.  

IRS Change of Address by Mail

The old-fashioned way

There are two ways of changing your address by mail: In writing by sending a letter and through the Form 8822

Option 1: In writing: To change your address by mail in writing with the IRS you will need to include: 

  • A statement that you’re changing your address.
  • Your full name
  • Your new mailing address 
  • Your previous mailing address 
  • Your SSN, ITIN, or EIN, that is, your Social Security Number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or your Employer Identification Number, respectively. 

After writing, mail your letter to the mailing address listed on last year’s tax return. 

Option 2: By filing Form 8822: Fill Form 8822, print it and send it to the address of your nearest IRS office listed on the form’s last page. 

IRS Change of Address Over the Phone

The easiest but longest option

Changing your address over the phone is considered one of the easiest options, depending on who’s calling and what the time of the year it is. Wait times can be one hour or longer if you’re calling around mid April. 

To change your address with the IRS by phone, the number to call is 1-800-829-1040 (Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.).

When calling, have these on hand:

  • Your full name
  • Your new mailing address 
  • Your previous mailing address 
  • SSN, ITIN, or EIN

IRS Office Change of Address (In person)

When you're in the area

The IRS change of address in person is best suited for those who aren’t comfortable sending their address change by mail. To change your address in person, visit your local IRS office. Remember to book an appointment first with the Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC)

Have the following on hand:

  • Full name
  • New mailing address 
  • Old mailing address 
  • SSN, ITIN, or EIN

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions About IRS Change of Address

How Do I Email the IRS?

Emailing the IRS is only offered in very rare situations. You cannot email the IRS for a general inquiry. If you prefer chatting with the IRS, you can use their e-help Desk Support from Monday to Friday from 6:30 AM to 6:00 PM.

What Time Does the IRS Typically Open?

Typically, the IRS is open from 7 am to 7 pm local time, but you might need to use the local office locator tool to find the nearest IRS office, book an appointment as well as get information peculiar to that particular branch.

Is the IRS Open on Saturdays?

No. The IRS only operates Monday to Friday.

Can You Fax a Change of Address to the IRS?

No. The IRS does not support changing your address by fax. You will have to mail your change of address request.

Does the USPS Notify the IRS of an Address Change?

Some, but not all USPS Post Offices will forward government checks so it’s important to separately notify the IRS of your address change as well.


It is very vital that the IRS has updated information about your new address. You might experience delayed federal refunds or other issues if they have your wrong address or if you do not notify them on time. 

The easiest way to go about changing your address with the IRS remains by mail or by phone. You would want to update your address with them if you want to keep receiving Social Security benefits, tax refunds, and lots more. 

Are you moving soon? Make sure you hire a reliable moving company or rely on a trustworthy moving truck to transport your belongings safely.

Now that changing your address with the IRS has been taken care of, read our complete change of address checklist to find our who to notify next.

Share this article on social media

Relevant for your move

BMO change of Address
Address Change Guides
How to change my address with the Bank of Montreal?

Changing your address with your financial institution is an important step in the moving process. Changing your address ensures that all sensitive documents, such as credit/debit card statements and insurance policy updates are being sent to the correct address.

Read more »
Cogeco Change of address
Address Change Guides
How to change my address with Cogeco?

How to change my address with Cogeco? Cogeco is committed to providing the best experience throughout the moving process – whether it be cancelling the service or relocating it, they make it as easy and intuitive

Read more »
Sasktel Moving Services
Address Change Guides
How to change my address with SaskTel?

How to change my address with SaskTel? Options available for change of address with SaskTel are as follows: Chat Live option on a mobile device Chat Live OR Ask me a question on their website Call

Read more »

Need help moving?

Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything you need for your move. No sign up required!