How to change my address with the Government of Canada?
You can change your address with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) online using MyAccount service, by phone at 1 800 959-8281, by mail or fax or by providing your new address on your annual tax return. Keep reading to find out more about all the other Canadian agencies that you may need to notify of your change of address in Canada.
In fact, when you think about the organisations you need to notify of your change of address, the Canadian government probably ranks pretty high on the list. In the guide, MovingWaldo reviews the address change procedure for the federal government only and not the provincial governments. Depending on the province you live in, there are other provincial agencies that you need to inform of your new address.
Need to update your address with more than one organization? Check out our interactive checklist.
Update your Address in Minutes
1. Build your list.
2. Notify +1000 organizations at once.
3. Save time and leave nothing behind!
MovingWaldo’s Guide of Canadian agencies to notify when moving.
The following article will address the different ways you can change your address with the four main governmental agencies below:
Other important Canadian documentation:
How to change my address with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)?
We can all agree on the fact that doing taxes is a frustrating task and tax season can be a stressful period. In other words, you don’t want to be even more bothered by having to change your address on top of it all. That’s why it’s better for you to do it as soon as possible!
What is the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)?
The CRA is a Canadian federal agency that administers tax laws for the Government of Canada and for most provinces and territories, international trade legislation, and various social and economic benefit and incentive programs delivered through the tax system.
Who must notify the CRA of change of address?
Anyone earning revenue in Canada must update their address with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). For most of us, when we talk about changes of address with the federal government, we mainly refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
How to change your address with the CRA?
You can change your address with the CRA in four ways:
- Online using CRA’s MyAccount service. If you do not already have an account, you can register freely. Please note that to create a new account, certain information are required, some of which are included only on your annual tax return.
- By phone at 1 800 959-8281
- Mail or fax one of these two documents to your local tax centre:
- A completed RC325, Address change request form
- A signed letter that includes your social insurance number, new address and moving date
4. You will also have the opportunity to provide your new address to the CRA on your annual tax return. The new address will automatically be updated in your file.
Important things to know!
Before calling, you should have these following things ready to provide:
- Your social insurance number;
- Your name;
- Your complete address;
- Your date of birth;
- Details from your account or your most recently assessed return, notice of assessment, reassessment, or other tax document.
How to change my address with the Employment Insurance (EI)?
No matter which program you benefit from, you can conveniently change your address online with the EI, CPP and OAS simultaneously through your My Service Canada Account (MSCA).
What is the Employment Insurance (EI)?
The Employment Insurance (EI) is a financial protection for people who have lost their job through no fault of their own and currently brings together more than 500,000 claimants throughout Canada.
Who must notify the EI of change of address?
If you benefit from any of the following programs, you must change your address with the EI.
- Regular benefits
- Maternity and parental benefits
- Benefits for the self-employed
- Family Caregiver Benefit for Children
- Fishing benefits
- Sickness benefits
- Compassionate care benefits
- Benefits for Canadians living abroad
- Family Caregiver Benefit for Adults
How to change your address with the EI?
- Sign in to My Service Canada Account (MSCA) on the government’s website.
- When you’re logged in to your personal profile, click on “View/change my mailing address and telephone number” under the “Change” tab.
- Select the “Change” button to update your information.
Important things to know!
How to change my address with the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS)?
The agencies offer various program to financially support Canadians.
What is the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and the Old Age Security (OAS)?
The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is known to be the backbone of Canada’s public retirement income system. The Old Age Security (OAS) program is the Government of Canada’s largest pension program.
Who must notify the CPP and the OAS of a change of address?
If you benefit from any of the following program, you must change your address with the CPP and the OAS.
- Retirement pension
- Post-retirement benefit
- Disability benefits
- Survivor’s pension
- Death benefit
- Children’s benefits
- Guaranteed Income Supplement
- Allowance for the Survivor
How to change your address with the CPP and the OAS?
For the CPP and OAS, simply follow these steps:
- Sign in to My Service Canada Account (MSCA) on the government’s website
- Select the “Address” link
- From there, you will have the option of changing your address and selecting the date you want the change to take effect.
- After completing the change, you will receive a confirmation page
- Use the link at the bottom of the page to view your changes immediately.
If your old address still appears after changing it, you can contact the CPP and OAS at 1-800-277-9914 (toll-free).
You can also change your address for the CPP and OAS by mail. Simply send your documents to the nearest Service Canada Office
Important things to know!
If you didn’t register for it online and submitted a paper application instead, then you can’t change your address online. In this case, you have two options:
- Contact the CPP directly by phone at 1-800-277-9914 (toll-free).
- Send a letter to the nearest Service Canada Office.
If you need your address do be updated today, you should contact the CPP by phone at 1-800-277-9914 (toll-free).
Frequently asked questions about address change with CPP and OAS.
What if I don’t have a My Service Canada Account?
No worries, you can simply create one here! You need to have on hand:
- your social insurance number (SIN)
- your date of birth
- your access code
Where can I find my access code?
If you’re already receiving EI, CPP, or OAS, you already have an access code. If you don’t remember it, you can find it on the mail you received from Service Canada when you applied for those benefits. Here is some help finding it on your documents.
What if I don’t have an access code?
If you don’t have a code, you can request it online, by visiting this page. You will need to provide your:
- Social Insurance Number
- first name, last name, date of birth, and your mother’s last name at birth
- postal code if you are a Canadian resident or your country of residence if you are a foreign resident
How to change my address for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
Good news! You don’t have to inform the government of your change of address for your SIN unless you are waiting to receive a SIN confirmation letter.
Changing your address with the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) is enough !
How to change my address on my Canadian passport?
You don’t have to notify anyone or fill out anything! Changing your address doesn’t make your passport invalid. You simply have to:
- Cross out the old address on page 4
- Write the new address in the space above the old one (if there isn’t enough room on the page, write the new address on a separate piece of paper and insert it into your passport)
Plus, don’t use any correction fluid (whiteout)!
How to change my address on my voter registration at Election Canada?
To change your address on your voter registration with Elections Canada, you have two options:
- Use the Online Voter Registration Service;
- Contact Elections Canada to request a registration form at 1 800 463 6868 or 1 800 361 8935 (people who are deaf or hard of hearing)
Complete the form, sign it and mail it, along with a copy of your proof of identity and address, to:
30 Victoria Street
Gatineau, Quebec, K1A 0M6
How to change my address on my immigration or citizenship application?
If you are moving while in the process of getting your immigration or citizenship application approved, you must change your address with the Canadian government as soon as possible. Depending on your type of application, there are different ways to change your address.
Click here to access the change of address form and follow the steps.
Moving is often synonymous of stress, long administrative tasks and a significant waste of time and money. MovingWaldo helps you solve all these problems in just a few clicks! After some shameless self-promotion, we invite you to discover our free moving tools available to all.
- Book trusted movers and storage facilities.
- Update accounts
- Connect Internet, TV and Phone.
- Secure home and auto insurance
- Find resources, checklists and more.
We bring together more than 700 organizations across Canada with a single and simplified form.
Share this article on social media
Compare the Best Moving Services available at your address!
Related questions from the community
Have a question about your move? Ask our community.
Relevant for your move
Anyone who benefit from any of the federal programs below must inform the CPP and the OAS when moving into a new place.
How to change my address for social assistance programs? In Canada, social programs provided by the government exist to give assistance to and aid citizens outside what the market provides. Many programs are run at the
The DGEQ plays an important role in Quebec politics as it oversees the holding of elections and referendums. It is crucial to inform the DGEQ of your new address if you want to vote in your district.
If you have an immigration or citizenship application in process and are moving soon, it is required of you to update your address, to make sure you receive any important documents.
Need help moving?
Check out MovingWaldo’s free moving platform and find everything your need for your move. No sign up required!